Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Where does the time go?

Wow! I cannot believe how fast the last 12 days went! So, we all survived the birthday week! Pictures will have to wait, the computer is at home and we are still not at home! So, lets get right to it! Michael is ONE. My parents drove down from Seattle to be here, which was awesome! It was great for Auggy, too. They camped and he slept in their tent a couple times, ate donuts, and got to have some really good times. We had a party in Monterey for our local friends, since the big bash was going to be out of town. The day of his birthday, Michael and I got up early and I looked at pictures from his birth, got all sentimental, and had a nice cry. I am not afraid to admit it! (I just can't believe how much has happened in the last year! We are all stronger and better for it, too.) Then, we took Michael for his first haircut. He did not enjoy it! But, oh man! He is even more stinkin adorable! The guy did a great job! And I didn't cry!
Fast forward to the big birthday bash. We had it at a campground that has a lake, perfect for the 90 degree weather! Kids and all, we had about 30 people! Auggy was in the water for about 8 hours! Just came out long enough to eat and watch the presents being opened. It was a great day for him! Possibly the best day of his little life so far! Michael enjoyed being passed around, doted on, and NOT going in the water! He hated it, wouldn't go in... Maybe next year. Aug was the same when he was a baby, now he's a little fish!
We camped, issue free, everyone slept. It was fun! My folks left to head back home the next morning. I always get a little sad after they leave. So does Auggy. Luckily we were still at the lake and did some more swimming and stuff to distract us. Plus, all the cousins were there, it was a great day, too!
Ok, so it's back to reality, back to the daily grind! It's funny, how on the day to day, I don't really think about DS. I feed Michael, cuddle with him, encourage him to try new things, we play, run errands, go to the park, all the same stuff I did (and still do!) with Auggy. It's when I am alone, or meet new people, or see someone I haven't seen for a while. When I get to thinking about his future, it's hard to imagine. Will people be mean to him? One of the things I want most for both my boys, is to have good self esteem. I don't want them to wonder if they're good enough, or smart enough, or "cool" enough, or handsome enough. I want them to KNOW that they are. I want them to be accepting, and accepted. I don't want them to have all the self-doubt I seem so unable to shake!
It's my job as their mother to give them that, to give them so much love and encouragement, that they are loving and fearless!
Two weeks until school starts back up for both of them. I can't wait! Michael loves being around all the kids. Auggy will see some old friends and make some new ones. In his last class, there were a few moms that seemed to have it out for him, but, thankfully, they won't be in this class! Here's hoping there's nothing but acceptance ahead, fun, and learning. I don't want Auggy to sense that negativity. He is a bright and wonderful boy. Stubborn and strong willed, definitely, but given the right encouragement, those attributes will be to his advantage. He doesn't need to see those as bad qualities, he doesn't need to be judged. He needs to be a 3 yr old! So, here goes! I will be positive! But, if need be, I will defend my boys like a mother bear will defend her cubs!
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment