Sunday, August 25, 2013

13 months!

Today, Michael is 13 months old! It is so hard to believe. Time has just flown by, but at the same time, it feels like he's always been here. In our lives. It's funny to think Auggy won't remember life without Michael.
People are drawn to Michael. Strangers. He has a special magnetism that really draws people in. He's cute, for sure, but there's something else, in his overall being that just sucks you in. Everywhere we go, people are enamored by him. One of  Auggy's school mommies said it: it's like you just want to be in his world! He truly is special!
It's clear to me now, that people can see he has DS. I've had strangers talk to me about it, just casual, as if its already established by everyone that he has it. And, I've realized it doesn't bother me. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel when it came up, but, the thing of it is... I don't care what other people think. My Michael is so perfect to me, that anyone who doesn't agree can take a hike! What amazes me, though, is that people are so warm and loving. I guess I am the ignorant one, who thought people would reject Michael when they found out he was different. Maybe I am the last one to catch on: DS is OK!
And the world of people that has opened up to me since his birth, well, I am so grateful for that, too! I adore all his little friends in his baby groups! Babies of different special needs, as well as their families. People I would have never met, and now, they are part of our family, too. I see their strength and it gives me strength.
I just returned to school for the first time in 15 years! I am going to become a massage therapist! I had my first class, which also means I spent my first day apart from Michael. It went pretty good! I was really nervous about it. About the new adventure, but, mostly about being separate from Michael for so long. I saw him during my break for lunch so I could nurse him, thankfully! He seemed to miss me, but he wasn't distraught, so, I feel good about it! I'm excited about massage, too, because it could prove to be beneficial to some health problems he may develop over time. And, who knows? Maybe that's the path I'll take during school, to help others with disabilities. I haven't decided yet.
Anyway, life is just flying by, and things are pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment